We all scream for ice cream sandwiches!!
I know not the how or why, but today is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day. I have no idea who came up with these silly “holidays”, but I’m certainly not complaining.
In honor of this special holiday, I decided to make an ice cream sandwich. Well, a sorbet sandwich, if you want to get technical. I like to consider it a grown up version of the yummy chocolate cakey, vanilla ice cream filled goodness that cured just about any hot summer day ailment.
I took a super simple lemon cookie recipe, changed it up a tiny bit and added sorbet.
The combination is what grown-up ice cream sandwich dreams are made of.
Raspberry Lemon Sorbet Sandwiches
makes approximately 18 cookies, 9 sandwiches
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temp
1/4 cup lemon flavored Greek yogurt
1 egg white
1/4 tsp vanilla
juice of one half lemon
pint raspberry sorbet (or flavor of choice)
1. Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of stand mixer (I actually used my hand mixer, just for old time’s sake), combine butter, yogurt, & sugar until smooth & creamy.
3. Mix lemon zest, egg white, vanilla & lemon juice to wet mixture.
4. Gradually add flour mixture, mixing until smooth.
5. Scoop dough onto baking sheet lined with parchment, using a cookie scoop to ensure equally sized cookies.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350.
7. Remove cookies from oven & allow to cool completely.
8. While cookies are cooling, place sorbet on countertop to thaw. Sorbet should be soft, but not runny for sandwiches.
9. Using cookie scoop, place on scoop of sorbet on the bottom of one cookie. Top with another cookie & press down slightly to spread sorbet to edges of cookies.
10. Place in airtight container & freeze until ready to eat.
Did/do you have a favorite summer treat? While I would never say no to an ice cream sandwich, I was more of a Bomb Pop or Fla-Vor-Ice kinda girl. I also worked at an ice cream shop for a few summers so I definitely ate my fair share of Cedar Crest ice cream. My absolute fave was a seasonal they had years ago called Milwaukee Brewer Grand Slam Sundae. I contacted Cedar Crest a few years back to see if they still made that flavor but sadly it was just a Limited Edition offering. 😦 Maybe some day they’ll bring it back, just for me!!