For the most part, Sunday is my day off. So when I had to work on Easter Sunday last week, it really threw me off. After a really looooong Friday and Saturday at work, I am so. freaking. happy. to have today off. I met up with a friend for brunch and I’ve been snuggled up on the couch with my furchild ever since. We’ve had a few storms roll through, which makes him snuggle in even tighter (he’s not a fan of thunder), making me even happier to be home. I’ve read pretty much the entire internet already but I keep seeing these fun 20 questions float around the blogosphere and decided it was my turn.
1. What brings you the greatest joy? Spending quality time with family and friends, sunshine, not winter, and not working.
2. What are your vices? Diet Coke. Netflix. Social media.
3. What is on your nightstand? I’m currently obsessed with my nightstand. I’m in the process of giving our bedroom a little color scheme makeover, which includes a few changes to my nightstand.
1. upcycled Goodwill lamp. Not perfect. But perfect for me. And it cost $9 total.
2. lime and basil reed diffuser
3. an old photo of my grandmother, godmother, actual mother, me, and Fielder. It was taken on Mother’s Day just a couple months after I got Fielder and I taped it to the inside of my server book shortly thereafter. When I ended my serving “career”, I couldn’t bear to put the picture away after seeing it every day for years so I just placed it on my nightstand & it’s been there ever since.
4. a paper weight that holds a photo of my childhood dog, Casper. He passed away a few years after I moved away from home, but I was incredibly devastated nonetheless. A friend bought me this paper weight with the phrase “your paws left footprints on my heart“, which could not be more true.
5. my alarm clock. I tried replacing it with this yellow clock, but I’m an idiot and my nightstand isn’t a magnet…
6. whatever book I’m reading at the moment, which is currently nothing
7. pictures of Justin and I from 2001 and 2007. Perhaps I’ll keep adding one from every 6 or 7 years until we’re old and grey?
8. a pretty handkerchief that belonged to my grandma
9. a Willow Tree Angel of Friendship. I actually need to glue her wings back on, but my mom bought me this angel figurine, holding a dog in her arms, after a pretty heartbreaking situation I found myself in. Late one VERY cold, snowy night, I found a dog running along side the road. Without hesitation, I put the dog in my car, knocked on the doors of the two homes on the road, only to find he didn’t belong to either. Since it was so late, I took him home with me and placed a classified ad first thing in the morning. This was before I had Fielder so I had no dog food, no dog toys, no dog anything. But I kept him warm, fed, and loved until his owner called two days later. I was given an address & upon arriving at it, miles away from where I’d found the dog, I immediately knew in my gut that I should just keep driving. Not wanting to judge a book by it’s cover, I did as I said I would & got the dog out of my car to walk him to his owner. But the dog didn’t want to go. He saw his home & turned back to my car. I pulled him to the house & he kept turning away. Upon sight of his owner, his tail did not wag, he nuzzled in towards me & begged me to take him home with me, despite having been a complete stranger to him just days before. Every ounce of my body, my heart, my soul, wanted to run as fast as I could, knowing that dog (who I now knew was named Oscar) would follow me, and we could live happily ever after. But I also didn’t want this seemingly terrible dog owner to call the cops on me, so I left without Oscar, but not without his paw prints on my heart. I was pretty sad about the whole thing for a while and my mom kept reminding me that no matter how hard I tried, I would never be able to save all of the animals. This angel is a nice reminder of every animal I’ve had the pleasure of holding in my arms and in my heart.
Thank goodness that’s finally everything… who knew a nightstand could be so deep! Truthfully though, I really enjoy having so many treasured items right next to me while I dream.
4. Do you have a secret talent? I don’t really have many secrets, talents or otherwise.
5. What is your greatest indulgence? Sloth. Well, I guess it’s technically a deadly sin but being physically and emotionally inactive is exactly what I need to do sometimes to decompress, and that also makes it an indulgence. Maybe all indulgences are sins? If so, I guess I’ll just keep sinning away.
6. What should every woman try at least once in her life? I have to agree with Janetha and Teri, traveling alone is a pretty epic adventure and one that I think every woman should try, if even for a short period of time. Being alone with your thoughts for a few days, weeks, months is spectacular for your soul. If you’ve ever doubted what you want in life, I suggest taking a little solo trip to try to sort it all out.
An animal lover even when traveling, I made friends with the kitties in my dorm while traveling solo.
8. What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you? Again, I have very few secrets, but some of the people I talk to every day don’t even know I have this blog. I guess that’s kind of strange, huh? I’ve always felt awkward talking about it.
9. What is on your bucket list? Bora Bora. Tahiti. Mykonos.
10. What is on your feet right now? Mismatched socks.
11. How did you make your first dollar? No idea. Lemonade stand? Sweet talking my dad? Probably baby-sitting, actually.
12. What superstition do you believe in? Agreeing with Teri here again, I fully believe that people change during the full moon. Crazy things happen. People get weeeeeird.
13. What items in your closet do you wear the most? At home I live in leggings. At work (okay, and at home) I constantly wear one of my three grey Great Dane sweatshirts. Of course I have to wear real clothes sometimes too, but I try to avoid it all costs.
14. What is the best gift you’ve ever received? My parents have “wrapped up” a trip to Mexico on more than one occasion, which is always a pretty awesome gift!
15. What is on your liquor shelf? Hendrick’s Gin. Gordon’s (Smoothest, Most Mixable) Vodka, Korbel, Sauza Hornitos, bitters, drink umbrellas, red Solo cups, margarita glasses…
16. What is on your kitchen counter? a bread box, which contains no bread. Kitchen-Aid. a spice rack, which contains no spices that I actually use. coffee pot. paper towel. junk.
17. What would you never leave home without? cell phone.
18. What movie has the greatest ending? that’s impossible.
19. Who is on the guest list for your ideal dinner party? Aforementioned John Legend and Chrissy Teigen. But in reality, I’m always cool with just a small group of close friends/family.
20. What is one thing you wish you had known when you were younger? I wish I had known that time would go by so quickly. I have no idea how I am
30 forever 29 years old. I wish I had known that “someday” would be here before I knew it.